Friday, April 16, 2010

A Different Generation

Today during home room, I had to give out a questionnaire on alcohol, drugs, etc. (These are 6th graders)  Each student received a questionnaire. While I was walking around making sure the students understood all of the questions (and I have to be honest, some of the questions were about specific drugs and I had NO clue what some of them were), one of my students asked me what he was. I was unclear of what he meant. I walked over to him and he was filling out the demographic portion of the form. He said to me, "Mrs. Armstrong, do I put Native American?" I explained to him what it was and told him he should bubble in African American. He looked at me and said, "Mrs. Armstrong I’m not from Africa. Why do they call us that?" When I tried to explain why, he did not like my answer and he said, "those people be trippin."  Bless his heart!!

No comments:

Post a Comment